Friday, August 7, 2009

Carlos Santana

I've always wanted a fat guitar strap dripping with heritage, just like his.

Chicano Rock is the genre label that is given to him on Wikipedia. I don't know why, but I find the most interesting things on Wikipedia; too bad not all of it is relevant/correct.

Santana has such a distinct sound from his guitars, and the way he is able to speak through music is just beyond me sometimes. I think what I like even more is that as his career progressed the sound of his music changed, (ie, features, collaborations, etc) but no matter the style of the music there was still the distinct tone in the guitar that let you know, "oh yo, Santana is on this track."

The thing about having a distinct sound puts you in a compromising position. People will love you because they can count you on you bringing that consistent dope sound, or people will get bored because they know what to expect from you.

What I hope to do as an artist is touch base in multiple genres and styles of music. I have a bad habit of staying in my comfort zone, taking the safe approach, if you will. I mean not just musically, but that's a whole other blog. I believe I have made tremendous progress in my writing, my composition, my themes and ideas. But...I want to be more progressive with my sound. Maybe not as far as Electric Circus, but along those lines....

I really like how Akapela Jonz is playing with his tracks, not being confined to a traditional song structure but expressing himself in a dope manner.

So I recorded two of my own songs the other day for the first time in months...i don't really like how they came out...but lack of dedication to my own stuff shows in its progress....however, it is a work in progress and i may be able to dedicate a significant amount of time to my own stuff rather soon :)

its a great summer ya'll...i hope you're enjoying it, too!

No comments: