Friday, July 20, 2012

Picking Up the Towel.




I was supposed to have written this a few months ago; Picking Up the Towel (fast forward the video to 3:20). It was going to be a follow-up to a post I wrote on the Speaker Box . Then life hit -- ironically, what I spoke on at 3:02 became relevant to my life, again. You would have thought I would have learned my lesson the first time. But it wasn't until I was writing the blog I wrote last week about my selling my phone that I was reminded me of this. Now, while it wasn't the actual story that triggered the realization, it was again the book, "Produced By Faith" by DeVon Franklin -- another theme that was a #dammitrandy moment.

I'm not one to pay attention to signs; figuratively speaking. So when God, or the universe, is speaking to me or trying to direct me down a particular path I don't always acknowledge it. In most cases, its leading me in the direction I am not trying to go in so I, regrettably, make a conscious effort to suppress it. Then I finally give in. I accept it, and more doors open I could have ever imagined. Things start falling in place faster than I can keep up with and its like, "why didn't I do this sooner?"

In some ways, that's why I have been on somewhat of a hiatus from blogging. Well, I've been blogging, just not on here. I'm sorry for that -- but really its myself I'm apologizing to since I created this blog in part to document my journey of growth, trial and triumph that I will one day be able to share with my legacy.

In the past 7 months, I've started a new business venture; Edizon Flix Fotografia. Although modest, its growing pretty rapidly. It started out as a hobby, if you could call it that. It was more of a necessity for my artists -- head shots, shooting live gigs, etc. I had numerous friends and colleagues asking for me to shoot for them, but I politely declined since it was not my specific area of expertise. One day I agreed to shoot with Arnold Randall...and the next thing I knew gigs piled up and I had some of my work in a feature for a local publication. And a new business venture on my hands.

So this was me, again, refusing to pick up the towel, and get in the game. It only took me 3 years to realize that this is something that I really excel at, as well, being rather lucrative with. Whether it be the growth of confidence in my ability, or the idea that something kept pushing me down this path, I'm here now and I'm enjoying it. I've always felt like folks who have too many creative ventures are indecisive, or don't know what to take seriously so they try to do it all. That is why I was reluctant with owning this craft. I never want to venture too far from AG One, but I do feel this is another avenue in which I can build within the company and support my artists with -- and that was my sole purpose when I started out.

Only time will tell where it goes from here. But I've picked up the towel, and for me that is always the hardest part.

No comments: